Distinguished Board, Master Board Member
If a school entity has a need, chances are that PSBA has a service, expert or program to meet that need.
Distinguished School Board or Master School Board Member Accreditation
What is your purpose -- your vision -- for public education? Are you driven to governing in a way that provides a highly relevant, rigorous education to every child, every day? If so, becoming a Master School Board Member or a Distinguished School Board may be just for you.
Built upon the PSBA Standards for Effective School Governance and the PSBA Code of Conduct, these accreditation programs provide several advantages:
- If awarded the accreditation, you will be in a position to "lift up" the profession of school governance as a noble and critically important calling to public service
- These programs highlight the impact school boards have on designing school systems that position students to succeed
- The community and other stakeholder will develop more confidence in public education (and your district's brand) when they see the quality, experience and influence of school directors
- Going through the process (according to past recipients) will make you a better board member -- or a more effective board -- as you reflect on the quality of your leadership as an individual or a governing team.
According to the Iowa Lighthouse Study, researchers determined that school boards in high-achieving districts were significantly different in their knowledge and beliefs than school boards in low-achieving districts. The results show that school boards in districts with high student achievement consistently expressed the belief that all students can learn and that the school could teach all students. Are you that individual? Are you that board? If you have (or your board has) demonstrated these and other leadership traits, you are likely well-positioned to apply for one of our accreditation programs.
- Master Board Member application
- Distinguished School Board application
- List of accredited members
- PSBA conferences/programs and possible points values
- E-mail Brenda Askey for information on your PSBA points, or (717) 506-2450, ext. 3314.
A panel of PSBA past presidents and Master School Board Members will review the anonymous applications to evaluate compliance with the requirements for accreditation. All school boards and individuals who apply must submit a signed and completed application by June 30 to the Pennsylvania School Boards Association, P.O. Box 2042, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. Attn: PSBA Accreditation Programs. Successful recipients will be notified of their status by Aug. 15.
The accreditations will be presented publicly at the annual PASA-PSBA School Leadership Conference in October. Each accredited board and accredited individual board members will also be recognized at a local public board meeting. It is important that the application be completed in a way that reflects mastery, or 'distinguishes' you as a high-performing team! Applicants who contact PSBA expressing an interest in either program will receive a call from a PSBA staff member to review the qualifying criteria and other aspects of the application process.