If a school entity has a need, chances are
that PSBA has a service, expert or program to meet that need.
A Practical Alternative for School Construction Projects
Experience the advantages and benefits of Owner-Controlled Insurance Programs (OCIP) that the private sector has enjoyed for many years. Sometimes referred to as "Wrap-up" insurance, OCIP is a concept relatively new to public school entities.
What is OCIP? OCIPs are an alternative insurance purchasing strategy that consolidates various insurance coverage for contractors engaged in a building or renovation project. Lines of coverage provided by OCIP are:
- Workers' compensation
- General liability
- Excess liability
- Builder's risk (optional)
The owner, which in this case is the school entity, procures these coverages on behalf of all parties working at the job site, rather than having each firm supply its own insurance for the project in question.
Why choose OCIP?
- Reduce the overall construction cost
- Improved insurance coverage (broader protection/higher limits)
- Additional safety and loss control services are provided through the program
- Enhanced care of injured workers
- Having one insurance policy eliminates "finger pointing" on covered claims, and virtually eliminates claims litigation and project delays.
- Contractors will bid the project without the cost of insurance in their bid, which allows the school entity to realize the lowest possible cost of construction. The school entity can then compare prices of OCIP vs. nonOCIP insurance.
- Eliminate unnecessary charges associated with insurance costs, such as profit and overhead. Allows volume-pricing incentives when purchasing one insurance program for the entire construction project.
Subsequent savings from improved risk management
- Fewer workers' compensation or liability claims due to effective loss control/safety programs
- Prompt and efficient claims administration percents claims from dragging out over a lengthy time period
Additional administrative services provided by the OCIP program
- Contractor pre-bid meetings
- Contractor preconstruction meetings
- Contractor enrollment
- Monthly payroll reports
- Insurance policy issuance
- Insurance cost analysis of contract bids
- New and renovation construction minimum $10 million construction value
- Available to all PSBA-member school entities
For more information, contact Marketing Representative Sean Sabol (800) 932-0588, ext. 4468.