Sharing ideas and expertise
Formed in 1963 as a department of PSBA, the Pennsylvania School Board Solicitors Association (PSBSA) is among the nation’s largest and most active state associations of school attorneys. First organized to improve legal services for school boards, PSBSA accomplishes this through conferences and publications, providing a venue for solicitors to share ideas and expertise and keeping members informed of case law, legislation and issues in education law impacting public schools.
PSBSA is a collegial group of professionals with an uncommon tradition of willingness to share expertise, experience and useful materials, whether during seminars, in ad hoc issue-specific working groups, in articles written for PSBA publications, via email discussions or on the telephone. Members particularly value their ability to consult with PSBA staff about issues they encounter, getting a head start on analysis and research, learning about approaches used in similar situations in other school districts, receiving mailed, faxed or emailed sample forms or documents from PSBA reference files, or simply brainstorming strategies and testing theories or arguments.
Register now to earn CLE credits
Become a member to utilize benefits
Under current bylaws, membership is open to individual attorneys or firms who serve as the appointed solicitor for a school district board of directors or the board of another public school entity that is eligible for PSBA membership, such as an intermediate unit, career and technical center, or community college.
PSBSA sponsors CLE events each year focused on topics of special significance to the practice of school law, with a lineup of highly regarded speakers featuring Pennsylvania’s best-known experts in various areas of school law practice. Annual events include:
- Spring Legal Roundup: This annual school law update, presented by PSBA’s legal services team, is held virtually in the spring and offers 3 hours of substantive CLE credit.
- School Solicitors Symposium: This day-and-a-half program held in person each July usually offers 7.5 hours of PA CLE credit (6.5 substantive hours and one ethics hour).
- School Law Workshop: This is a full-day program held in conjunction with the PASA-PSBA School Leadership Conference in the fall. This program usually offers 5.5 substantive hours of CLE credit.
- PSBSA members also receive member rates for PSBA conferences and programs.
PSBSA offers a series of pre-recorded CLE webinars on numerous current topics affecting school law practice, available on demand, plus, additional live CLEs delivered virtually.
The School Solicitors Monthly Exchange is a complimentary networking session for members that provides a convenient, regular opportunity for solicitors to gather virtually to brainstorm and compare notes on school law issues they are dealing with.
PSBSA members recieve newsletters specific to their role as a school solicitor as well as general news from PSBA to help attorneys stay apprised of current public education affairs. PSBSA members receive:
- The biweekly School Law EDition (SLE) newsletter, which includes summaries of and links to the complete text of cases and arbitration decisions as well as supplementary information on other important school law issues.
- PSBA’s Morning Brief, which provides curated timely education-related news and success stories.
- PSBA Works for You, which provides products, services and resources related to a solicitor’s role in education.
- Ad hoc email alerts on issues and important developments in school law.
- State and federal legislative newsletters, along with Legislative Alerts, to provide members with timely and relevant updates on important legislative issues and other news impacting public education.
Online access to the PSBA Bulletin, an award-winning magazine, including “It’s the Law,” a column written by PSBA General Counsel Michael I. Levin, Esq., discussing legal concepts and problems of significance to local school district governance.
PSBSA members receive a member discount on the Pennsylvania School Law Handbook, A Practical Guide to the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act and Labor Relations for School Leaders.
These publications can be ordered using this form.
PSBSA members receive access to PSBA subject matter reference information, arbitration archives and the PSBA School Solicitors Shared Resources OneDrive. The OneDrive contains an online compilation of complaints and other pleadings as well as court decisions related to other education law issues.
PSBSA members are also able to consult with PSBA staff as needed.
Regular Solicitor Membership
For attorneys of firms that serve as solicitor to the board of directors of an entity eligible for PSBA membership, including a school district, intermediate unit, career and technical center, or community college.
Non-solicitor Attorney Subscription
For attorneys of firms that regularly serve as counsel to or represent public school entities in a capacity other than as solicitor, including defense counsel, labor counsel, other special counsel or counsel to charter schools.
PSBSA officers and board
- Amy H.T. Brooks, Esq.
Blue Bell/Montgomery Co.
- Christina L. Lane, Esq.
Maiello Brungo & Maiello
- Brian F. Boland, Esq.
- Benjamin L. Pratt, Esq.
PSBSA Immediate Past President
Saxton & Stump
- Nathan G. Mains
PSBA Chief Executive Officer
- Michael I. Levin, Esq.
PSBA General Counsel
- Carmen J. Bloom, Esq.
PSBA Chief Legal Officer
Please hover over the icons below to view information about each sectional director.