- This event has passed.
Virtual School Solicitors Symposium
Jul 8, 2021 - Jul 9, 2021
Up to 8.5 credit hours of continuing legal education are available, including 1 hour of ethics credit.
The School Solicitors Symposium is an annual, multiday educational and networking program specially focused on issues and trends having particular impact on legal representation of public school entities. The program is presented in a relaxed, informal atmosphere. Although the 2021 Symposium will be conducted remotely due to the ongoing pandemic, like the traditional in-person event, it will include networking and brainstorming opportunities in addition to topical presentations. Solicitors, register now! The first 100 registrants will receive a “swag bag” mailed to their home prior to the event.
2021 topics include:
- Title IX Update – a look at the future of the 2020 regulations, protection of LGBTQ students and other emerging issues
- School Law Update – a lively overview of what’s happening in the courts, new statutes and regulations, and other developments directly impacting public school operations and liability exposures
- Achieving a Sane Work-Life Balance (ethics and professionalism)
- Reviewing Board Policies with an Equity Lens – the solicitor’s role in identifying potential equity barriers and shortfalls in the way district policies are worded and implemented
- Economic Furloughs of Professional Employees – legal requirements and practical considerations involved in preparing for and implementing reductions in force for purely economic reasons
- Cybersecurity & Privacy Compliance – what solicitors need to know to help clients ensure that district systems and data are protected from cyber threats and privacy breaches
The program also will include multiple roundtable discussion sessions where attendees can exchange information, ideas and strategies about trends in various focus areas, such as:
- Arbitrators and Arbitrations
- Pandemic Response and Recovery
- Labor Negotiation Trends
- Special Education Hotspots
- Tax Assessment Litigation Developments
- Developing Policies Protecting Transgender Students