Your trusted and approved source
The Pennsylvania Department of Education has named PSBA an approved provider of required school director training. Your association has more than 100 years of statewide expertise in school law, policy, finance and ethical governance, so you can be sure you’re receiving the highest quality learning, relevant to your role. To learn when you or your board will be required to complete training hours, please refer to PDE’s FAQs here
PSBA knows that everyone has unique scheduling requirements and distinct learning styles. Therefore, we have created two pathways in meeting state requirements:
- During the New School Director Training program offered at more than 10 locations around the state, there will be five hours of live training for newly elected directors that runs concurrently to a three-hour program for re-seated school directors. This is an interactive event structured to provide both new and veteran directors with the require training in a collaborative format.
- Nominal fee will cover provided meal and operational expenses.
- Click here to view a list of locations and registration information.
Newly Elected School Directors
You are the first newly elected school directors in the state of Pennsylvania to have a training requirement. PSBA is ready to help you meet that requirement by offering you 24/7 access to courses that have been approved for this training. By clicking on “My Transcript,” on myPSBA.org, you should see the following courses waiting for you — their icons indicate them as required training with the black circle and RQD.
- Academic Testing and Requirements
- Special Education
- Overview of Public School Labor Relations
- Evaluating Your Superintendent
- Act 93
- Board’s Role in Finance and Budgeting
- Local Taxation and Act 1
- Policy and Administrative Regulations
- Facilities Planning
- Introduction to Governance Plans and Documents
- Legal Landscape of Public Education
- Sunshine Act and Executive Session
- Conflicts of Interest and Ethics Act
- Trauma-Informed Courses 1-4
Required Training for school directors re-elected in November 2019
If you were just re-elected and reseated on your board, you are the first re-elected school directors in the state of Pennsylvania to have a training requirement. PSBA is ready to support you in meeting that requirement by offering 24/7 access to courses that have been approved for this training. By clicking on “My Transcript” on myPSBA.org, you should see some of the courses available to you for this training. All Advanced School Director Training courses will be available to you by January 13 — their icons indicate them as required training with the white circle and RQD.
The courses identified for Advanced School Director required training are the following:
- Trauma-Informed courses (1-4), available now
- Advanced School Finance (1-2), available January 13, 2020
- Advanced Policy and Legal Updates (1-3), available January 13, 2020
Access to PSBA Professional Development
Even if you do not have a training requirement because you are midterm, you still have access to all our required training courses as voluntary professional development. You could pursue earning a badge or certificate of board governance. When you are re-elected, new courses will be provided for you to meet your training requirement at that time.
WHAT’S MY NEXT STEP?
You have until December 2020 to complete your required training. If you have chosen to attend our live training for this requirement, you will still have 24/7, complimentary access to these courses as professional development and reference.
If you complete these courses for required training, a certificate will load into your transcript page. You should download and share with your district office staff for their records.
To get started, go to the Online Learning page to access online courses or to register for the in-person option during New School Director Training.
Questions? Contact Brianna Crowley, (717)-506-2450, ext. 3271.
Watch this video for answers to frequently asked questions about required training.
Watch the video below to learn more about PSBA provided tools for new and re-seated directors, as well as information on fulfilling training requirements.
For a printable version of this Required School Director Training information, click here.
To view the full picture of training and educational opportunities for the year from PSBA, check out the Year of Learning catalog.
Questions? Send an email to email@example.com.