Your trusted and approved source
The Pennsylvania Department of Education has named PSBA an approved provider of required school director training. Your association has more than 100 years of statewide expertise in school law, policy, finance and ethical governance, so you can be sure you’re receiving the highest quality learning, relevant to your role. To learn when you or your board will be required to complete training hours, please refer to PDE’s FAQs here
PSBA knows that everyone has unique scheduling requirements and distinct learning styles. Therefore, we have created two pathways in meeting state requirements:
- Accessible 24/7, a series of 10 to 30-minutes topic-specific courses with takeaways.
- No charge to members.
- To access our 43 online courses including those identified as required, members should log into myPSBA.
- During the New School Director Training program offered in more than 10 locations around the state, there will be 5 hours of live training for newly elected directors that runs concurrently to a 3-hour program for re-seated school directors. This is an interactive event structured to provide both new and veteran directors with the require training in a collaborative format.
- Nominal fee will cover provided mean and operational expenses.
The training covers the following topics:
- Academic Testing and Requirements
- Special Education
- Overview of Public School Labor Relations
- Evaluating Your Superintendent
- Act 93
- Board’s Role in Finance and Budgeting
- Local Taxation and Act 1
- Policy and Administrative Regulations
- Facilities Planning
- Introduction to Governance Plans and Documents
- Legal Landscape of Public Education
- Sunshine Act and Executive Session
- Conflicts of Interest and Ethics Act
PSBA will issue a certificate of completion to each participant, stating that school director training requirements have been met.
WHAT’S MY NEXT STEP?
Log onto myPSBA to access online courses or to register for the in-person option during New School Director Training.
For a printable version of this Required School Director Training information, click here.
To view the full picture of training and educational opportunities for the year from PSBA, check out the Year of Learning catalog.
Questions? Contact Brianna Crowley, (717-506-2450, x-3271).