- 4/2/2020 – Act 13 FAQ's
- 3/24/2020 – Considerations for School Boards Contemplating Furloughs of Non-Teaching Staff
- 3/20/2020 – FAQ’s – From PSBA Regarding School Closures
Coronavirus Preparedness Guidance
In the last few weeks, the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), which causes the respiratory illness COVID-19, has become a topic of concern nationwide. Being proactive is key to prevention and mitigation.
Below, you will find a list of resources on all aspects of preparedness, including guidance on communication planning, policy, emergency management and disease control. Use these resources to help you make decisions regarding the safety and health of those in your school district.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance for Schools: Webinar Series
PSBA hosted six virtual sessions with presentations by an expert on critical and timely topics; communication practices during the coronavirus pandemic; the business of boards during shutdown; facilities restoration and clean-up, and other essential topics. Members have access to the recorded sessions via myPSBA.org.
I. PSBA Coronavirus Updates
- 4/3/20 – PSBA update from the Pennsylvania Board of Finance and Revenue
- 4/3/20 – The complex equation of earnings and compensation unemployment
- 4/1/20 – E-Rate Schools Report from the Center for Public Education, NSBA, and PSBA
- 3/18/20 – Joint letter to legislators: PSBA and other education partners call for statewide policy
- 3/16/20 – Communications Update – Submit your questions on school operations & coronavirus
- 3/13/20 – Policy Update – remote board meetings
PSBA Crisis Communications, a member benefit supported by The Donovan Group is available 24/7 at no cost to PSBA member districts, for guidance on how to communicate with communities, families and the media. Communication templates available here.
III. Emergency Management
Resources from PEMA:
IV. Legal & Policy Insights
- NSBA COVID Preparing For Widespread Illness in Your School Community, A Legal Guide for School Leaders
- What You Should Know About the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act and COVID-19
- Department of Labor – Employee Rights: Paid Sick Leave and Expanded Family and Medical Leave Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- 3/21/2020 – ED – Supplemental Fact Sheet Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Preschool, Elementary and Secondary Schools While Serving Children with Disabilities
- 3/17/2020 – U.S. Department of Education Releases Webinar, Fact Sheet for Protecting Students' Civil Rights During COVID-19 Response
- Policy 006.1 Attendance at Meetings via Electronic Communications
- Policy 805 Emergency Preparedness and Response
The Board is responsible to provide facilities, equipment and training necessary to protect against hazards and emergencies, including but not limited to natural disasters, hazardous chemicals, fires, weapons, bomb threats, intruders, terrorism, communicable diseases and pandemics. Advance planning, training, practice and comprehensive implementation are key components in protecting the safety and security of the school community. Each school entity should have an emergency preparedness plan in place that was developed in cooperation with the county Emergency Management Agency and the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA). The emergency preparedness plan should include provisions for the continuity of student learning during school closings or excessive absences.
V. News Updates
From the Office of the Governor
- 3/31/2020 – Gov. Wolf, Sec. of Health Extend Stay-at-Home Orders to Seven Additional Counties, 33 Counties Now Ordered to Stay Home
- 3/31/2020 – Life Sustaining Business update from the Governor
- 3/30/2020 – Gov. Wolf and Sec. of Health Expand ‘Stay at Home’ Order to Carbon, Cumberland, Dauphin and Schuylkill Counties, Extend School Closures Indefinitely
- 3/27/2020 – Special Update: School Construction Projects
- 3/27/2020 – Gov. Wolf Signs COVID-19 Response Bills to Bolster Health Care System, Workers, and Education and Reschedule the Primary Election
Pennsylvania Department of Education
- 3/31/2020 – Continuity of Education Resources from the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- 3/19/2020 – Pennsylvania Department of Education Cancels Statewide Assessments
- 3/15/2020 – Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) COVID-19 Resources
Pennsylvania Department of Health
- 3/27/20 – PA Department of Health – Breakdown of Age and County Case Counts
- Coronavirus Information for Education from the Pennsylvania Department of Health
VI. Wellness and Disease Management
- 3/24/20 – The Education Trust – Child Hunger and the Coronavirus Pandemic
- 3/20/20 – NAMI – Coronavirus: Mental Health Coping Strategies
- Pennsylvania Department of Health COVID-19 Testing Fact Sheet
- What is Coronavirus from the Pennsylvania Department of Health
- About Coronavirus Disease (COVID – 19) from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- From the World Health Organization
- More information and resources from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Mental Health America – Mental Health Effects of COVID-19
- Map of Coronavirus and School Closures from Education Week
- CDC – Caring for Children – Tips to keep children healthy while school’s out
VII. Planning Checklists
- The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) – School District (K-12) Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) – Pandemic Flu Checklist: K-12 School Administrators
VIII. Additional Questions?
Please use the form below to submit any additional questions about coronavirus preparedness.