A weekly companion to your Daily EDition e-newsletter. Watch other videos from PSBA on our YouTube channel.
Video EDition: Educational Updates from Legislators and School Leaders
Past Video EDition
- May 23 | Overview and tips for the annual School Safety and Security Board Report | What is final best-offer arbitration under Act 88?
- May 16 | How the Right-to-Know Law impacts social media and electronic communications | May a resigning school director participate in hiring his or her replacement? | Primary elections and voucher legislation House Bill 2169
- May 9 | Rep. Jason Ortitay discusses House Bill 2468 addressing mental health in schools
- May 2 | Advocacy Day 2022 recap | Tips for budget talks and continuing your conversations with legislators year round
- April 25 | Improving indoor air quality and “green” options at schools | Advocacy Day resources
- April 18 | Legislative updates on the recent voucher bill, public works contracts and a clearinghouse for online K-12 and professional development courses | Highlights of the 2022 State of Education report
- April 11 | Policy updates related to schools’ authority to regulate students’ off-campus speech | Policy Committee hearing and legislation on school mental health services | When does a school director become a school director?
- April 4 | Benefits of the superintendent evaluation process | Legal effects of a school board director abstaining from a vote | Voucher bill update, Senate Bill 297 and other legislative movement
- March 28 | Tips for communication during a crisis | School mental health services legislation, charter school law update | Action Alert: oppose upcoming voucher legislation | Act 88 fact-finding process
- March 21 | Partnering with county-based mental health and prevention services and the critical need for funding these programs | Ask the Solicitor: Who can administer an oath of office? | Legislative update and Advocacy Day reminder
- March 14 | Laura Johnson, Allwein Society inductee | Legislative updates and Advocacy Day reminder | Notices required before special meetings are held
- March 7 | Feeding PA’s Hear the PA Crunch campaign | Can a board limit public participation? | Legislative happenings and advocacy highlights
- February 28 | Discussion with Chris Santa Maria, PSERS board chair, and Terri Sanchez, PSERS interim executive director
- February 21 | Meet Dr. Emily Kelahan, PSBA’s senior equity training manager | Matters not subject to bargaining | PSBA’s new Advocacy Engagement Program
- February 14 | Analysis of Gov. Wolf’s budget address
- February 7 | Sharif El-Mekki, founder/CEO of the Center for Black Educator Development | Voting abstention requirements
- January 31 | Auditor General Timothy DeFoor discusses financial literacy in schools | EITC legislation, upcoming budget address
- January 24 | PA Innovative Leader Award: Dr. Charles Herring, South Fayette Twp. SD | Advocacy partners and heroes | Act 88 mediation requirements
- January 17 | Meet Eugene DePasquale, new resident at the Keystone Center for Charter Change
- January 10 | PA Innovative Teacher Award: Jeanine Ging, Freedom Area SD | Importance of education advocacy | Can school directors do business with their districts?
- January 3 | Meet 2022 PSBA President David Hein
- December 13 | A year-in-review with 2021 PSBA President Dr. Art Levinowitz | Special feature – Art Levinowitz: “A Life of Music”
- December 7 | Congressman Brendan Boyle (PA – 02) discusses advocacy tips for the IDEA Full Funding Act in part two of this series.
- December 6 | Congressman Brian Fitzpatrick (PA – 01) discusses the IDEA Full Funding Act and why it is needed in part one of this series.
- November 29 | Principles of Governance and Leadership | Updates on legislation moving at the Capitol
- November 22 | Matters for mandatory bargaining | Trauma-informed education | Legislation passed and moving at the state and federal levels
- November 15 | Preparing for and managing public protests | House Bill 1660 | School masking order appeal | School funding trial update | PA Innovative School Board Award: Moniteau School District
- November 8 | PA school funding trial | Who is considered a ‘confidential’ employee in the collective bargaining process? | Onboarding new school directors
- November 1 | Board president voting capabilities | In-district virtual academies – how to re-attract cyber charter students
- October 25 | Appointing a temporary superintendent | Legislation moving at the Capitol | Innovation and Policy Institute
- October 18 | Tips for effective, productive board meetings | Fall Virtual Advocacy Day recap | What is a bargaining unit?
- October 11 | Advocacy Day; update on voucher and curriculum transparency bills | Authority of the superintendent to hire/fire employees | Williamsport Area School District workforce readiness program
- October 4 | Hiring and job seeking with PSBA’s Career Gateway | Update on school voucher legislation | Performance standards for superintendents
- September 27 | 2021 Virtual School Leadership Conference: What to expect | Action Alert: House Bill 1254 on vouchers & House Bill 1685 on charter schools | Collective bargaining defined
- September 20 | Proper board procedure for taking roll call | Managing communication during controversy
- September 13 | New amendments to the Sunshine Act | Mask mandate response and charter school reform legislation at the Capitol | Forming a board committee
- September 6 | School board voting rights of the superintendent | Act 18 of 2019: New requirements regarding threat assessments
- August 30 | First in PA to add electric buses – talking with the SD of Philly | Executive session: When can they be held relative to a regular meeting?
- August 23 | Roll call at school board meetings | Senate Bill 312
- August 16 | School Safety Officers as trained mentors at the SD of Philadelphia | Online instructional programs and legal compliance issues to consider