A weekly companion to your Daily EDition e-newsletter. Watch other videos from PSBA on our YouTube channel.
Video EDition: Educational Updates from Legislators and School Leaders
Past Video EDition
- December 5| Teachers Ignacio Jayo and Steve Beal discuss innovative partnerships they implemented to benefit students | Liz Sheehan, 2022 Allwein Society inductee, talks about the importance of advocacy
- November 28| What is required to be in board meeting minutes? | Jonathan Kuzma, board president, talks about Quaker Valley School Board’s innovative programs this year
- November 21| Superintendent Dr. Chris Sefcheck discusses innovations he implemented at New Kensington-Arnold School District this year | The difference between administrative regulations and board policy
- November 14| The impact of PSBA’s Delegate Assembly and Legislative Platform | Tips for effective public education advocacy
- November 7| Life lessons from Jean Becker, former chief of staff for George H.W. Bush | What is the role of the school board secretary?
- October 24| Dr. Karen Beck Pooley, 2022 Allwein Society inductee, discusses her advocacy work. | Policy manuals: Why should you review regularly?
- October 17| Changes with the new legislative session | How the role of the school board differs from that of the administration
- October 10| Current mental health challenges in schools | Strategies for addressing students’ mental health needs
- October 3| New PASA Executive Director Dr. Sherri Smith discusses her goals and the relationship between superintendents and school boards | What is the school board’s role in the collective bargaining process?
- September 26| PA Department of Education’s three-year plan to address teacher shortages | How school districts can connect with community members who are not parents
- September 19| An introduction to the Consortium of State School Boards Associations | Why should school board members support board decisions they oppose? | Legislation developing on September 11 curriculum, early enrollment of military children, and school staff carrying or possessing firearms on school property
- September 12| America250PA campaign to celebrate the nation’s 250th anniversary | Tips for school directors on interacting with the media
- September 6| PCCD School Safety and Security Committee | Managing unruly members of the public at a board meeting | Fall legislative session preview
- August 29| An update on landmark school funding trial in PA | What do school boards need to know about conflicts of interest?
- August 15| Learn how the district is helping students prepare for the workplace and higher education through a unique partnership with the local Chamber of Commerce.
- August 8 | Learn how students are getting hands-on experience and certifications in forestry and wildlife management through a unique program utilizing the district’s 500-acres of woodlands as a classroom.
- August 1| Hear from students and their instructor who are among the first in the nation to work and learn in their very own onsite solar training lab, preparing students for future careers in solar and clean energy.
- July 25 | Hear from students and administrators at Bedford High School about a unique robotics competition where teams of high schoolers design, build and duel their own battle bots while learning manufacturing and engineering skills
- July 18 | Learn about how students’ musical creativity and career aspirations come to life in Hanover Public School District’s sound engineering studios
- July 11 | Hear from students and an instructor about how the Wallenpaupack Area School District’s new aviation program is preparing students for careers in piloting, aircraft maintenance and management, and air traffic control.
- July 5 | Learn how middle school students in the Yough School District are preparing for 21st-century careers through hands-on instruction with computer applications, drones, mini-bots and more.
- June 27 | Learn how the Keystone CTC’s aquaponics program is teaching students real-world agricultural skills, while enhancing culinary instruction and school lunches.
- June 20 | State budget advocacy asks | Closer Look resources for advocacy
- June 13 | Legal considerations surrounding school board confidentiality | How to advocate during PA budget month
- June 6 | School safety and security expert John McDonald discusses key points school leaders should consider in regard to school safety related needs.
- May 31 | How participating in professional development leads to responsible leadership | Experience requirements a board director must have to be elected as a board officer | Upcoming public education and policy advocacy efforts in the Capitol
- May 23 | Overview and tips for the annual School Safety and Security Board Report | What is final best-offer arbitration under Act 88?
- May 16 | How the Right-to-Know Law impacts social media and electronic communications | May a resigning school director participate in hiring his or her replacement? | Primary elections and voucher legislation House Bill 2169
- May 9 | Rep. Jason Ortitay discusses House Bill 2468 addressing mental health in schools
- May 2 | Advocacy Day 2022 recap | Tips for budget talks and continuing your conversations with legislators year round
- April 25 | Improving indoor air quality and “green” options at schools | Advocacy Day resources
- April 18 | Legislative updates on the recent voucher bill, public works contracts and a clearinghouse for online K-12 and professional development courses | Highlights of the 2022 State of Education report
- April 11 | Policy updates related to schools’ authority to regulate students’ off-campus speech | Policy Committee hearing and legislation on school mental health services | When does a school director become a school director?
- April 4 | Benefits of the superintendent evaluation process | Legal effects of a school board director abstaining from a vote | Voucher bill update, Senate Bill 297 and other legislative movement
- March 28 | Tips for communication during a crisis | School mental health services legislation, charter school law update | Action Alert: oppose upcoming voucher legislation | Act 88 fact-finding process
- March 21 | Partnering with county-based mental health and prevention services and the critical need for funding these programs | Ask the Solicitor: Who can administer an oath of office? | Legislative update and Advocacy Day reminder
- March 14 | Laura Johnson, Allwein Society inductee | Legislative updates and Advocacy Day reminder | Notices required before special meetings are held
- March 7 | Feeding PA’s Hear the PA Crunch campaign | Can a board limit public participation? | Legislative happenings and advocacy highlights
- February 28 | Discussion with Chris Santa Maria, PSERS board chair, and Terri Sanchez, PSERS interim executive director
- February 21 | Meet Dr. Emily Kelahan, PSBA’s senior equity training manager | Matters not subject to bargaining | PSBA’s new Advocacy Engagement Program
- February 14 | Analysis of Gov. Wolf’s budget address
- February 7 | Sharif El-Mekki, founder/CEO of the Center for Black Educator Development | Voting abstention requirements
- January 31 | Auditor General Timothy DeFoor discusses financial literacy in schools | EITC legislation, upcoming budget address
- January 24 | PA Innovative Leader Award: Dr. Charles Herring, South Fayette Twp. SD | Advocacy partners and heroes | Act 88 mediation requirements
- January 17 | Meet Eugene DePasquale, new resident at the Keystone Center for Charter Change
- January 10 | PA Innovative Teacher Award: Jeanine Ging, Freedom Area SD | Importance of education advocacy | Can school directors do business with their districts?
- January 3 | Meet 2022 PSBA President David Hein
- December 13 | A year-in-review with 2021 PSBA President Dr. Art Levinowitz | Special feature – Art Levinowitz: “A Life of Music”
- December 7 | Congressman Brendan Boyle (PA – 02) discusses advocacy tips for the IDEA Full Funding Act in part two of this series.
- December 6 | Congressman Brian Fitzpatrick (PA – 01) discusses the IDEA Full Funding Act and why it is needed in part one of this series.
- November 29 | Principles of Governance and Leadership | Updates on legislation moving at the Capitol
- November 22 | Matters for mandatory bargaining | Trauma-informed education | Legislation passed and moving at the state and federal levels
- November 15 | Preparing for and managing public protests | House Bill 1660 | School masking order appeal | School funding trial update | PA Innovative School Board Award: Moniteau School District
- November 8 | PA school funding trial | Who is considered a ‘confidential’ employee in the collective bargaining process? | Onboarding new school directors
- November 1 | Board president voting capabilities | In-district virtual academies – how to re-attract cyber charter students
- October 25 | Appointing a temporary superintendent | Legislation moving at the Capitol | Innovation and Policy Institute
- October 18 | Tips for effective, productive board meetings | Fall Virtual Advocacy Day recap | What is a bargaining unit?
- October 11 | Advocacy Day; update on voucher and curriculum transparency bills | Authority of the superintendent to hire/fire employees | Williamsport Area School District workforce readiness program
- October 4 | Hiring and job seeking with PSBA’s Career Gateway | Update on school voucher legislation | Performance standards for superintendents
- September 27 | 2021 Virtual School Leadership Conference: What to expect | Action Alert: House Bill 1254 on vouchers & House Bill 1685 on charter schools | Collective bargaining defined
- September 20 | Proper board procedure for taking roll call | Managing communication during controversy
- September 13 | New amendments to the Sunshine Act | Mask mandate response and charter school reform legislation at the Capitol | Forming a board committee
- September 6 | School board voting rights of the superintendent | Act 18 of 2019: New requirements regarding threat assessments
- August 30 | First in PA to add electric buses – talking with the SD of Philly | Executive session: When can they be held relative to a regular meeting?
- August 23 | Roll call at school board meetings | Senate Bill 312
- August 16 | School Safety Officers as trained mentors at the SD of Philadelphia | Online instructional programs and legal compliance issues to consider