The Pennsylvania School Boards Association is a nonprofit statewide association of public school boards, pledged to the highest ideals of local lay leadership for the public schools of the commonwealth.
PSBA and its member school entities represent more than 4,500 local school board members who dedicate themselves to providing the best education for every child. The association was founded in 1895 with the stated purposes to:
- Provide a medium for school boards, school directors, school board secretaries and other related groups to come together and exchange information and views concerning the administration of the commonwealth's public schools.
- Secure united cooperation in handling school board problems and to endeavor to bring about improvement of the public schools by cooperation with other educational and professional agencies.
- Take such action as deemed most desirable on matters relating to education and school administration, whether initiated by PSBA, the General Assembly, state agencies, or individuals, associations or groups.
- Promote greater activity and higher efficiency on the part of all school boards in order to secure the best results in the progressive advancement, control and conduct of public schools.
- Render assistance and advice to school boards and to members of school boards on school matters affecting them.
PSBA Articles of Incorporation, Article III