The PA Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has granted an extension of the temporary waiver for the mid-cabin school bus cameras. The waiver for mid-cabin school bus cameras is extended until July 1, 2023 (the entire 2022-23 academic year). PSBA had advocated for the extension of the waiver.
The waiver doesn't apply to mid-cabin school bus cameras installed after the date of this order unless the mid-cabin school bus cameras installed after the date of this order are:
- Flush mounted with the interior of the bus or
- If any part of the camera protrudes into the cabin, they are:
- Mounted to the interior of the bus directly over a seatback
- Mounted as close to the side wall or wire chase of the school bus as reasonably possible
- Free of sharp edges
- Constructed with lenses and other transparent parts of the camera made with an impact resistant material