The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) has released proposed regulations for charter and cyber charter schools and is seeking public comment. The new regulation is established as a new Chapter 713 under Title 22, Part XX, of the PA Code. The proposal will be published in the September 18, 2021, issue of the Pennsylvania Bulletin and was transmitted to the Independent Regulatory Review Commission and the House and Senate Education Committees for review. The 30-day public comment period is open September 18 through October 18. PSBA is also reviewing the proposal.
The department states that the regulation:
- Clarifies elements of the Charter School Law (CSL) and sets conditions that emphasize accountability, equity, quality, and transparency.
- Establishes a minimum standard for charter school, regional charter school and cyber charter school application.
- Better ensures non-discriminatory student enrollment policies as required by the CSL.
- Clarifies that charter and cyber charter school boards of trustees are subject to the Public Official and Employee Ethics Act.
- Requires standard fiscal management and auditing practices.
- Details the tuition payment redirection process for charter school entities and school districts.
- Specifies minimum standards for the provision of health care benefits.
Click here to read the proposed regulation in its entirety. The preamble, beginning on page 22 of the document, provides a summary of each section under the regulation.